Backup of DOS partitions

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR gsteckel at vergil.East.Sun.COM
Fri May 10 08:38:29 AEST 1991

 In article <3799 at sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
 |> Does anyone have software which will backup the DOS partition on the
 |> hard disk from unix or xenix? Please don't suggest using dd, if you've
 |> tried you know why that's not the solution.
 |> would be useful but not required.
In article <638 at bigfoot.first.gmd.de> tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
 Well on ISC at least, it's possible to simply mount the DOS file system and use
 find, cpio or tar. If you have VPIX you could run one of the DOS cpio's in a
 pipe. Even PC-Backup on a file (even UNIX char special?) should work.

I tried the mount approach.  tar and cpio repeatedly save the first file found
over and over and over and ...  Has anyone gotten this to work correctly,
and if so, how?  I haven't tried PAX yet.  Of course, I may have set something
up wrong...

	geoff steckel (gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.