SCO License security - another flame

Dave Shepperd shepperd at dms.UUCP
Thu May 23 07:26:41 AEST 1991

>From article <1991May21.172622.5358 at logixwi.uucp>, by jpm at logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens):
> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>
>>In article <1248 at dms.UUCP> shepperd at dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:
>>>Maybe so, but I can't get su to "work" on my Xenix, Unix and Esix systems
>>>either.
>>>So I use root's crontab and do a su to news from there (which does work).
>
>>That's pretty interesting, considering that there is nothing in xenix that
>>would prevent that.
>>Or are you upset because you can't have other users use crontab?
>>In which case I would suggest you RTFM.  Something I would expect of any
>>system administrator.
>
> 	BTW, the FM says you should insert the names of all users allowed to
> 	use crontab in /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow.  1 per line ;-)

The original subject seems to have been lost. Someone asked (complained?)
that is was difficult to use a crontab file on an account that had no
interactive login (such as news). Sean suggested that one could su
to the subject account and use crontab from there. It is my observation
that this does not work on the 3 O/S's that I use regularly. The symptom
is that crontab insists on using the original username even after doing
an su. The solution I mentioned is how I get around the problem of not
being able to add a crontab file for an account that cannot be logged into.

BTW: The FM is much more clear on the subject of cron.allow and cron.deny
than your comment implies. If a cron.allow does not exist, then cron looks
in cron.deny. If neither exists, then everyone can use cron. None of my
systems have either cron.allow or cron.deny. This has nothing to do with
the problems mentioned in any of the previous postings.

--
Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd at dms.UUCP or motcsd!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.