SCO License security - another flame

Michael Richardson mcr at Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca
Fri May 24 06:35:59 AEST 1991

In article <1251 at dms.UUCP> shepperd at dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:
>From article <1991May21.172622.5358 at logixwi.uucp>, by jpm at logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens):
>>
>>>That's pretty interesting, considering that there is nothing in xenix that
>>>would prevent that.

  Ever tried to send mail when su'ed? Notice anything?
  Ever try 'su - news' ?? Works really nicely. It even sets the
'LOGNAME' variable to 'news'

>interactive login (such as news). Sean suggested that one could su
>to the subject account and use crontab from there. It is my observation
>that this does not work on the 3 O/S's that I use regularly. The

  A simple 'su' just gives you the uid. An 'su -' gives you the whole shebang.
  I give news a password and reserve use of the root account to when
it really necessary.

  I guess they don't make sysadmins like they used to.
  (I know this works under ISC. I believe I did it last week on an
ODT, but I can't be certain)

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    |  so little time.