ISC multiuser license allows only 1-2 users

Greg Heim gheim at eng.auburn.edu
Fri May 24 05:15:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991May23.031022.10108 at crom2.uucp> jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
>

>>      The above says it all.  I have the ISC unlimited user license here but
>>      the system only allows 1-2 users on at a time.  This started after a
>>      disk crash and restore.  I reinstalled the unlimited user diskette but
>>      nothing changes.  :-(
>
>>      I recall a solution to this problem mentioned in this group once before
>>      but of course I paid no attention to it then.
>
>     A solution mentioned here fairly recently was based on the notion that
>(according to the poster) nothing in ISC unix checks the number of users except
>/bin/login.  The solution was to use one of the non-ISC login programs floating
>around.  (I believe this was mentioned in the context of getting rid of the ISC
>ads and copyright notices that disfigure my and probably your screen at bootup.
>A different login was suggested as a fix for that also.)
>     (Note in case ISC is reading over my shoulder: yes, I *do* have a multi-
>user license.  But the copyright notices are *still* annoying the 3x10^3th time
>you see them.)

Howdy,

I had this problem when I got my multi-user license as well.  After some
investigating, I discovered that the file /etc/.license had something
like "1-2 users" in it and it needs to be changed to anything other than
that.  I set mine to say "unlimited".  The problem comes in when you use
the sysadm program to try to activate more than two terminals.  It checks
the value stored in this file.  As long as it doesn't say "1-2 users"
(or whatever) it'll let you add the additional terminals.  It is possible
to activate more than two terminals w/o the unlimited user license if you
don't use the sysadm program.  This was on ISC version 2.2.  When I told
Interactive of this problem (and solution) they said they were aware of
it.

Hope this helps.

Greg

In real life: Greg Heim                                         A/~~\A
To you: gheim at eng.auburn.edu                                   ((O  O))___