ISC multiuser license allows only 1-2 users

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri May 24 21:02:59 AEST 1991

gheim at eng.auburn.edu (Greg Heim) writes:

> I had this problem when I got my multi-user license as well.  After some
> investigating, I discovered that the file /etc/.license had something
> like "1-2 users" in it and it needs to be changed to anything other than
> that.  I set mine to say "unlimited".  The problem comes in when you use
> the sysadm program to try to activate more than two terminals.  It checks
> the value stored in this file.  As long as it doesn't say "1-2 users"
> (or whatever) it'll let you add the additional terminals.  It is possible
> to activate more than two terminals w/o the unlimited user license if you
> don't use the sysadm program.  This was on ISC version 2.2.  When I told
> Interactive of this problem (and solution) they said they were aware of
> it.

I had this same problem (sysadm wouldn't let me activate more than
two terminal) changing /etc/.license from "2" to "3" and it worked OK.

And it contined to work OK in that I could fire up all my terminals
under sysadm but, more recently, I found I couldn't log on with
more than the console plus 2 different IDs and wrote ISC about it
who told me that to install the multi-user ... which I already had.
I was waiting for another reply from ISC when I saw your posting and
set /etc/.license to read "unlimited" and, eh, voila! it works!

Thanks for the tip,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.