SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

David Fiander david at sco.COM
Wed May 29 23:07:43 AEST 1991

In article <7665 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I disagree that mmdf configuration can be figured out in "15 minutes".
>It's quite complex, requiring 56 pages in the administrator's guide, and
>needs every last detail specifically mentioned in its config files.  I
>would suggest to our mmdf person at SCO that much more needs to be done
>to it than mere addition of domain name server support, if you want
>Average Joe to be able to configure it in 15 minutes.  (Admittedly, it

The 56 pages of (not very good) documentation in the system admin guide go
into a lot of gory detail which is not required by most simple
configurations.  I explained the basic theory of MMDF configuration to my
manager in about 15 minutes.  Now, he probably wouldn't be able to
configure mmdf without help, but he could look at the existing mmdf
configuration and figure out what was happening to his mail and why, and
he would also be able to _maintain_ the existing configuration.  This is
the most important part.  One only needs to be an MMDF guru to generate a
configuration from scratch (if then).  Once one has a running mail
system, maintaining it in the face of changing connections and user
community is basically a no-brainer (since one of our Computing Services
people left last month, our MMDF configuration has been running on
auto-pilot with no real maintenance being done, aside from the cron job
which cleans the log files).

--
David J. Fiander
SCO MMDF Development Team