SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

Rich Braun Rich.Braun at sunbrk.FidoNet.Org
Wed May 29 05:35:02 AEST 1991

A followup: via e-mail, a couple of people told me how to fix sendmail
to work properly under SCO Unix.  This is a bug in the Unix system itself,
and can be corrected by substituting the following in /etc/tcp:

In place of

	/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h ; echo "sendmail \c"

use
	su root -c "/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h" ; echo "sendmail \c"

Though sendmail is shipped configured to setuid to root, this is not
sufficient.  Doing the above fixed my problem.

Regarding mmdf, I turned it off by simply typing "chmod -x /usr/mmdf/bin/
deliver", rather than deinstalling it.  I'll revisit mmdf as soon as
SCO ships the version which supports domain name service.

It's amusing running into mmdf again.  It was written at the U. of Delaware
at the time I was a student there, but I was not involved with it.  I
was instead hacking RDMAIL, a program written in SAIL, for the DEC-10.

I disagree that mmdf configuration can be figured out in "15 minutes".
It's quite complex, requiring 56 pages in the administrator's guide, and
needs every last detail specifically mentioned in its config files.  I
would suggest to our mmdf person at SCO that much more needs to be done
to it than mere addition of domain name server support, if you want
Average Joe to be able to configure it in 15 minutes.  (Admittedly, it
took me a month of posting _Help!_ messages on USENET before I figured out
sendmail...mmdf isn't _that_ bad.)  That 56-page manual section needs
rewriting, too, in order to explicitly spell out SMTP support; it got
me _quite_ confused, because it never says anywhere that one _cannot_
run sendmail and mmdf together; indeed it seems like one _needs_ to
run sendmail in order to talk SMTP, which isn't the case.

-rich

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)