SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.unicom.com
Wed May 29 13:21:42 AEST 1991

In article <675397058.24 at sunbrk.FidoNet>
	Rich.Braun at sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Rich Braun) writes:
>I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's documentation implies that
>mmdf is superior and one should dump sendmail instead.

SCO MMDF is quite usable - though the way it's distributed and the
documentation (or lack thereof) might lead you to believe otherwise.
To get the system happy, you absolutely need to do two things:

    - Run `/usr/mmdf/bin/checkup' and heed it's advice.  And if you
      reconfigure `mmdftailor', run `checkup' again.

    - Get the documentation posted in two parts to the net (several
      times!) on how to setup SCO MMDF.  Part two is chock full of
      examples of how to do it in a networked environment.

>"How can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?"

You need to enable the `MCHN smtp' line in the `mmdftailor' file.
It is probably also a good idea to edit `/etc/rc2.d/S86mmdf' to
run `deliver' on the smtp channel.  (SCO 3.2v0.0 didn't even start
deliver - so first thing to do would be to create this file.
Better yet, upgrade to 3.2v2.0.)

>and my second is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

Yes, that is a drag.  Although I use a static hosts table, it would
be nice if SCO MMDF did a gethostbyname() instead of making me retype
`/etc/hosts' into `/usr/mmdf/table/smtp.chn'.

>I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
>based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
>so on)

I've run an ODT box connected into a network consisting of an NCR
Tower, a 3B2, and an ISC box.  (Hi Bill!)  All were running smail3.1,
not sendmail, but the point is that SCO MMDF is an upright network
citizen.

--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play that
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.