SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

IT Manager jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Fri May 31 02:41:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991May29.032142.16176 at chinacat.unicom.com>, chip at chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
- In article <675397058.24 at sunbrk.FidoNet>
- 	Rich.Braun at sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Rich Braun) writes:
- >I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
- >based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
- >so on)
-
- I've run an ODT box connected into a network consisting of an NCR
- Tower, a 3B2, and an ISC box.  (Hi Bill!)  All were running smail3.1,
- not sendmail, but the point is that SCO MMDF is an upright network
- citizen.

When we recently installed on ODT 1.1 system (Unix 3.2v2 as the OS base),
we didn't even install the MAIL package.  Instead, we simply mounted
/usr/local from another SCO Unix machine which already had smail3.1 and
elm installed under that heirarchy.  Then we told smail to look for a
second "config" file in /etc/config.smail, which could then be tailored
to the needs of the ODT box.  To satisfy programs which expect a "mail"
program to exist somewhere, I copied the mail binary, and the /usr/lib/mail
directory (well, not the whole thing, but the parts I knew were needed)
off the other Unix machine.  Whole thing works great.

If you're installing on the only SCO machine available, try this:
- install MAIL package
- save the mail binary, and /usr/lib/mail directory
- remove the MAIL package
- install smail3.1 and elm
- copy what you saved earlier back
- install the execmail replacement (part of the smail3.1 package)

There are probably other ways to use smail3.1 and elm without using any
of SCO's MAIL stuff, and still have a "mail" binary around (I don't think
elm can completely replace mail), but this is what I've had success with.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651