Since Most Everythings's right with SCO Can we make it smaller?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed May 1 13:26:02 AEST 1991

In article <TIZAOGB at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

| > Seems
| > a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
| > significantly smaller than most applications.
|
| What are you RUNNING? The biggest things I run are O(100K).

  You can run GNUemacs under MOTIF without paging in 32MB per user...
Perhaps it's stuff like that. Actually I bet the compiler takes more
than your 100k, but I'd bet I can run hours at a time without getting a
process over a single MB.

  I'm unhappy with application bloat, too. MicroEmacs <120k even with
some extensions and enhancements (and three sets of bug fixes).
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX