Is >16MB possible on ISA box (ISC 2.2.1)?

Steve Fullerton scf at statware.UUCP
Tue May 14 09:49:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991May13.115029.14295 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>As far as I know, SCO is the only vendor to support > 16 MB (although I
>don't know if it will work on ISA bus systems, but I think it will). SCO
>did this by using the "epanded memory" trick that is used by many dos
>systems (it copies a page down below 16MB whenever a page is accessed
>by a bus operation).  This works the same way under EISA systems, even
>though it isn't necessary there.

We are running SCO UNIX 3.2V2 on an ISA system with 32 MB of memory and
haven't had many problems.  We run X (from ODT) with TCP/IP, NFS, and
Ingres with additional swap on a second disk (2 760 MB ESDI).  The boot
message is

mem: total = 32384k, kernel = 5740k, user = 26644k

The average number of processes hovers around 120 with only 5-6 users
(lot's of X though).  The only memory related problem is that we seem
to have maxed out some of the kernel parameters; e.g., NREGION.  We get
"region table overflow" messages, but trying to push it up with configure
warns us that the maximum is 350 and exceeding it will result in SEVERE
system problems.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp at cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109