David Van Beveren dvb at emisle.uucp
Wed May 15 12:20:49 AEST 1991

In article <265 at harem.clydeunix.com> wes at harem.clydeunix.com (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <1991Apr26.070424.2756 at emisle.uucp> dvb at emisle.UUCP (David Van Beveren) writes:
>> Of course, I have been dealing with Decstations and SPARCstations
>> recently, so I am used to stuff working out of the box :=)
>
>In article <660 at genco.bungi.com>, dls at genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) retorts:
>% How much did your Decstation and your SPARC cost you?  I haven't seen

It didn't cost me anything. The machines are owned by my customers. My business
owns several 386/33's and one 486/33 all running ISC. They are good for doing
s/w development when I don't want to travel to the customer's site, but I
must admit that the workstations have far superior development environments,
like Saber. Even dbxtool is better than anything I have in x86 land.

>% any I would buy for my own use with my own income.  Really, they are in
>% a different class and should be recognized as such.  They had better work
>% out of the box for over $10K.
>
>Mr. Van Beveren must not have tried to use NFS on his DECstation if he
>is "used to stuff working out of the box."  :-(  Besides, if they made
>every version of unix identical, it would put those of us who know how
>to hack around until it works out of a job!  :-)

Actually, I have been unsing a DECstation 3100 with drives NFS mounted from
a Sun4, a Sparcstation running SunOS 4.0.3, a sun3 running SunOS 4.1.1,
two other 3100's running different revs of Ultrix (4.0, 4.1) and a VAX
running VMS 5.4. Also, there is occasion to mount a drive from an HP 9000/425
and from an Apollo. It all works perfectly and has ever since it was installed.
I don't believe hacking around making it work is really a good way to spend
customers' money when I am hired to develop software.

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb at ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb