SCO License security - another flame

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Thu May 2 03:07:08 AEST 1991

mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> No, you can't.  "brand" does just what its name implies -- it brands
> the file permanently with a serial number.  It's impossible to
> re-brand a file.

Actually, I think some of the current stuff *can* be re-branded, but
even if you couldn't, you can always keep a copy of the unbranded
file around, and copy it before branding -- I do this on robobar's
customised installation tapes, so that we can ship preconfigured
stuff around to our customers without having to worry about installation
engineers getting it wrong.  Saves time too, and time is money.

The branded serial numbers do have problems, but not being able to
re-brand *isn't* one of them.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)