SCO License security - another flame

Larry Philps larryp at sco.COM
Wed May 1 22:48:50 AEST 1991

In <91V712w164w at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) writes:
> > You could do so with SCO, and then usr /etc/brand for the system speci-
> > fic files to 'brand' the new system to the new serial numbers.
>
> No, you can't.  "brand" does just what its name implies -- it brands
> the file permanently with a serial number.  It's impossible to
> re-brand a file.

This is untrue!  It was the case with Unix 3.2.0, but with Unix 3.2v2 and
ODT 1.1 files can be rebranded.  The shell script /etc/serialize will
rebrand an entire package.

> > On the other side: they obviously paid more attention to security than
> > ISC. Or did you read hundreds of news messages concerning 'SCO security
>
> No, they didn't.  They paid more attention to making sure that you
> can't illegally copy their software, when they should have been paying
> attention to things like X11R4, Motif 1.1, the BSD FFS, symbolic
> links, System Vr4.0, a working telnet(1), real HDB UUCP, and commands
> like su(1) and cron(1) that work the way I expect them to.

Gee, I guess all we need for a product marketing department is a
single clerk with your phone number!

> --
> Marc Unangst               |
> mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
> ...!hela!mudos!mju         |

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc.
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp at sco.COM  or larryp%scocan at uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397