INTEL 5.4 2.0 and Adaptec 1542B

Karl Denninger kdenning at genesis.Naitc.Com
Wed May 22 06:47:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.173836.6629 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>rossw at march.co.uk (Ross Wakelin) writes:
>
>>The INTEL 5.4 release 2.0 (developers edition) has buggy drivers for the
>>Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adaptor.
>
>>We were using this adaptor in a 25Mhz Mylex 486 motherboard, and achieved
>>a record number of system lockups and crashes.  The machine would go away
>>for a minute or so and then report a SCSI error.  At this point, our only
>>option was to reboot the machine.

You're lucky it worked at all!

I had a Mylex 486/25 in here about 6-8 months ago.  It set records too --
it was the first 486 motherboard here, and the one with the shortest time to
live at this facility ;-)

It didn't pass the DMA test on the 1542B, so back it went.  We got some
"clone" board from an unknown company which worked fabulously (and still
does).

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning at nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.