INTEL 5.4 2.0 and Adaptec 1542B

Le Tin tin at smsc.sony.com
Thu May 23 02:39:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.173836.6629 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>rossw at march.co.uk (Ross Wakelin) writes:
>
>>The INTEL 5.4 release 2.0 (developers edition) has buggy drivers for the
>>Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adaptor.
>
>>We were using this adaptor in a 25Mhz Mylex 486 motherboard, and achieved
>>a record number of system lockups and crashes.  The machine would go away
>>for a minute or so and then report a SCSI error.  At this point, our only
>>option was to reboot the machine.
>
>we use a 1542B with Intel SVR4 2.0 (developers edition) on one of the
>machines here without any problems.  As a matter
>of fact, this machine runs as an X-Server around the clock.

  I've tested a 1542B, Maxtor 338MB, and SVR4 3.0 and 4.0 (early alpha).
  No problem getting them to work together.  I've even recompiled SVR4 4.0
  on that system (heavy disk usage) with nary a problem.  The performance
  is not all that good, at least not what I had expected.  My home system
  with a Seagate ST02 and my own driver run just as fast (ISC 2.0.2).

-- Tin Le

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM
. Work: (408) 944-4157      Home Internet: tin at szebra.uu.net