Dave L. Smith dls at genco.bungi.com
Thu May 2 03:41:10 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr26.070424.2756 at emisle.uucp> dvb at emisle.UUCP (David Van Beveren) writes:
>Thank you. I was trying to give SCO the benefit of the doubt.
>
>In general, people who have a product become accustomed to it and therefore
>satisfied with it. This is the case with SCO customers I believe. If you read

Read your own message!  You are 'accustomed' to your Decstations and SPARCs.

>I believe SCO with gcc, smail, Roell from the PD and VPIX from ISC is an OK
>setup. I don't think there is a satisfactory networking solution for any
>PC unix. Of course, I have been dealing with Decstations and SPARCstations
>recently, so I am used to stuff working out of the box :=)

How much did your Decstation and your SPARC cost you?  I haven't seen
any I would buy for my own use with my own income.  Really, they are in
a different class and should be recognized as such.  They had better work
out of the box for over $10K.  Also, they were not made to support hundreds
of other vendors' devices, as SCO and other 386 Unix vendors do, and so
of course they will work with the hardware they are shipped with.  People
who use SCO and other 386 Unix products generally are trying to make it
work on whatever they can afford, and naturally have some difficulties.

Dave Smith