SCO password generator

Roger Cornelius rac at sherpa.UUCP
Sat May 18 10:55:30 AEST 1991

>From article <1991May14.040042.15199 at jpradley.jpr.com>, by jpr at jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley):
> In article <1991May06.144015.17086 at dircon.co.uk> uaa1006 at dircon.co.uk (Peter Miles) writes:
>>Does anyone know if it's possible to access the SCO UNIX password
>>generator from outside the 'passwd' command?
>
> Since it's part of a binary program -- /bin/passwd --, I'd say the answer is
> no, unless you have a nice convenient way to disassemble /bin/passwd and
> extract just that part of the code.

It's possible if you have the development system installed.  The
following demonstrates (must link with -lprot):

/* cut here */
#define SecureWare
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/security.h>
#include <sys/audit.h>
#include <prot.h>
#define MIN 5
#define MAX 10

main(ac,av)
int ac;
char **av;
{
	char word[MAX], hyword[2*MAX];
	long seed = time(0L);

	set_auth_parameters(ac,av);
	(void) randomword(word, hyword, MIN, MAX, 0, seed);
	(void) printf("NR  word=%s, hyword=%s\n", word, hyword);
	(void) randomword(word, hyword, MIN, MAX, 1, seed);
	(void) printf("R   word=%s, hyword=%s\n", word, hyword);
}
/* cut here */

--
Roger Cornelius          rac at sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac