`lpadmin' and `lpforms' in SCO SysV3.2

j chapman flack chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us
Sat May 18 13:11:44 AEST 1991

I've just begun setting up lp and company under SCO System V 3.2 (ODT 1.0.1)
and have been having enormous problems.  `lpadmin' complains about invalid
scaled numbers; eg, if I use 11i as form length, it tells me to use only i or c
as the suffix!  It also says it should put an i or c at the end of a number
like cpi, e.g., cpi=10i, which seems like the inverse of what I want, but if
they want it that way, hey, I'll do it.  Doesn't matter.  Still complains that
I should have an i or c at the end.  (Maybe I should take it literally and
put TWO i's at the end? ;-) )

`lpforms' is worse.  It has the same problem with parsing 'scaled numbers', so
any form description I create will be rejected if it specifies any value for
form length, width, cpi, or lpi.  The only way I can get it to create a form
at all is to omit everything in the description except the comment.  That
avoids choking the parser, and lpforms fills in default values for everything
else, creates the appropriate directory and files in
/usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/forms, and then says it got an unexpected return code 5
from the lp process.

After that, subsequent attempts to modify the same form result in a complaint
that the form is corrupted.  "lpstat -f all" doesn't know about the form at all.
So far, I am completely unable to use forms at all.

Are these utilities this broken for everybody?  Is this a SCOism?  Do I have a
trashed distribution?  Does anyone know of workarounds?

Thanks!
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                    -MIKHS 0EODWPAKHS

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.