32-bit C compilers

Thomas Solomon solomon at chaos.utexas.edu
Thu May 16 09:06:25 AEST 1991

We have been looking into purchasing a UNIX system for a 486/33 EISA
PC that we are getting.  We are planning on doing extremely fast
data acquisition (collecting up to ~1.2 Mbytes/sec of data and storing
to disk) and analysis with this machine.  For these reasons, it is
important for us to get a C-compiler that can take advantage of every
scrap of power that the 486/33 offers.  Specifically, we want to be
sure that whatever compiler _at least_ uses the full 32-bit capabilities
of the 486.

With all of this in mind, I am a bit suspicious of SCO Unix's use of
Microsoft C for their development package.  Is this the same Microsoft
C that can be obtained for MS-DOS systems?  Is it a 32-bit compiler?
What about the C++ that is offered?  Will this give better performance?
If anyone has suggestions about the appropriate compiler to use, we
would appreciate it.

Thanks.
				Tom Solomon
				solomon at chaos.utexas.edu