INTEL 5.4 2.0 and Adaptec 1542B

Craig Gates cgates at netcom.COM
Wed May 22 06:09:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991May20.145226.7155 at march.co.uk>, rossw at march.co.uk (Ross Wakelin) writes:
> The INTEL 5.4 release 2.0 (developers edition) has buggy drivers for the
> Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adaptor.
>
> We were using this adaptor in a 25Mhz Mylex 486 motherboard, and achieved
> a record number of system lockups and crashes.  The machine would go away
> for a minute or so and then report a SCSI error.  At this point, our only
> option was to reboot the machine.
>
> We replaced the 1542B with a WD-7000 FAST card, and found that we still got
> the SCSI errors, but that the driver for the WD board recovered from the errors
> and let us continue processing.  Needless to say, we are now production on
> the WD board.

I have the Adaptec 1542B running on a JDR 386 motherboard using this level
of Unix from Intel without a glitch, in fact I'm running both SCSI and IDE
drives in this system, unsupported according to the documentation from Intel,
for about 3 months.

I also know of a system using the WD-7000 FAST and also with IDE's again
no problems.

Craig Gates	(cgates at pops.navo.navy.mil)