INTEL 5.4 2.0 and Adaptec 1542B

Ross Wakelin rossw at march.co.uk
Tue May 21 00:52:26 AEST 1991

The INTEL 5.4 release 2.0 (developers edition) has buggy drivers for the
Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adaptor.

We were using this adaptor in a 25Mhz Mylex 486 motherboard, and achieved
a record number of system lockups and crashes.  The machine would go away
for a minute or so and then report a SCSI error.  At this point, our only
option was to reboot the machine.

We replaced the 1542B with a WD-7000 FAST card, and found that we still got
the SCSI errors, but that the driver for the WD board recovered from the errors
and let us continue processing.  Needless to say, we are now production on
the WD board.

Hopefully this is one of the things that was (will be) fixed in the
handover to Interactive.

Ross Wakelin                                        r.wakelin at march.co.uk
Unix Systems Director                   or ..mcsun!ukc!slxsys!march!rossw
March Systems Consultancy Ltd