AT&T sys V R 4. and 1542B

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Sat May 25 23:28:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.141223.271 at chinet.chi.il.us> randy at chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
=In article <1991May23.142018.506 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>=	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.
=>
=>But their VARs may indeed sell AT&T UNIX alone or with clones, supplying
=>drivers for whatever peripheral devices they sell.
=>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
=
=	And what do you do when you want to add something?  Such as
=	a second disk controller (not supported),

Well, I'd ask a lot of questions on USENET (OK for a college but not so
hot for a commercial enterprise).  :-)

=	or a multiport board.

I did add a couple of Equinox boards and their support has been good.

=	If they are not AT&T (and they don't have much),
=	they are not supported.  You cannot get support for your
=	UNIX if it is not running on an AT&T box with AT&T hardware.

>From AT&T, you mean?  I *am* getting AT&T support for AT&T UNIX running
on an AT&T 386 which has a WangDAT, a Consensys HD controller and a
couple of Equinox multiports.  But I'm about to purchase another system
with a clone as a file server and AT&T has not yet said that they would
not support it.  The account rep said she'd like not to lose the sale of
a server, though.

=	And most VARS know less about the system than you do.

And considering that "I am but an egg," that ain't saying much about the
VARs!

But actually, I agree with you.  I would have liked to avoid buying this
new LAN from AT&T but no one locally is willing to do a TCP/IP
installation for me and no one has come up with a suggestion on an MSDOS
mail program a la Word Perfect Office for the MSDOS clients (they're the
only clients on a proposed UNIX server), so it looks like I'm going win
LM/X and AT&T!  :-(

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math