AT&T sys V R 4. and 1542B

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Fri May 24 00:20:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.131919.404 at chinet.chi.il.us> randy at chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
=In article <91141.163751NPOPE at GTRI01.GATECH.EDU> NPOPE at GTRI01.GATECH.EDU writes:
=>Has anyone gotten AT&T Unix System V R4 to work with an adaptec 1542B
=>SCSI controller.  If so how. If not, why not.  Does AT&T Expect that no
=>one owns any other kind of hardware besides AT&T hardware.
=
=	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.  They do
=	not sell their UNIX seperately, and supplies no drivers for
=	anything other than their hardware, i.e., tape drives, disk
=	drives, ethernet cards, etc.  If you have AT&T UNIX, then you
=	have AT&T hardware.

But their VARs may indeed sell AT&T UNIX alone or with clones, supplying
drivers for whatever peripheral devices they sell.  I'm buying UNIX
alone from a VAR in Philly, and when we bought our 386/33 from a
(terrible) NJ VAR, we also bought a WangDAT with a driver the VAR
supplied (don't know where *it* came from) and a Consensys HD controller
with a driver from Consensys.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math