Is this a reasonable platform for SCO Unix?

Wes Peters wes at harem.clydeunix.com
Thu May 2 10:35:58 AEST 1991

In article <638 at mixcom.COM> ggvvgg at mixcom.COM (Dave Fenske) writes:
> If you REALLY want to have sexy windows.  And, if you
> really want Unix, but still might want to run DOS
> applications from time to time, why not consider a nice
> Sun Sparcstation.  You'll get better performance (much
> better) and save money.

In article <1991Apr25.170915.17770 at rfengr.com>, rfarris at rfengr.com (Rick Farris) replies:
% Here's a myth that's going to die a quick death.  Two years
% ago, some Sun architectures were much quicker than the
% equivalent PC architectures.  It just ain't true anymore.
%
% It was the surprise of my life when I discovered that a Dell
% 486-25 (running Dell Unix) was a snappier machine that a Sun
% IPC, but it's true.
%
% PC hardware has grown up in the last couple of years.

Well, if you really want snappy video performance and the ability to run an
occasional PC program, buy:

	1) A Silicon Graphics 4D/380 with 256M ram and a BIG disk;
	2) A cheap PC/XT clone with an ethernet adapter;
	3) PC-NFS

Beat that!  Of course, the SiliG will set you back several hundred K$.  :-)
Oh, sorry, I guess I should have posted this in comp.unix.dreams...

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than