wanted: UNIX or clone

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Mon May 6 13:48:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991May05.180556.9247 at iecc.cambridge.ma.us> johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

>In article <1991Apr30.135708.19899 at bilver.uucp> bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>>On the Lotus-123 for Unix is says it will run under SCO Xenix too.  But
>>the kicker is - it specifically states it will NOT run on '486 machines.
>>So they have done something to make it hardware dependant.

>All that means is that they didn't run the entire test set, which is pretty
>large, on 486 systems.  In fact, 1-2-3 for Unix works fine on 486 boxes.  I
>have an EISA 486 running ISC 2.2, and Lotus loads up and runs perfectly well.

That is interesting.  The reason I posted this was that there is nothing on
the box that says it, but in the installation manual it specifically states
it won't run on 80286 (as expected) or 80486 chips - which was unexpected.

Typical software releases will say it runs on XXXXX, which means it is
supported and runs there.   But very few say it will NOT run on YYYY.
Now - why do they put that in the installation manual?

I am going to check this out, as the copy is a fresh eval from Lotus.

Thanks for the info.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP