ESIX 4.0

Thomas Hoberg tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
Wed May 8 01:20:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.040749.19592 at leland.Stanford.EDU>, fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

|> >Who cares? Motif and Open Look both are just marketing gimmicks.
|>
|> I happen work on setting up OpenWindow(R) for our SPARC stations lately.
|> Honestly, if you are "speed craving" then I would guess you will "hate"
|> Open Look even more.  Man, this thing is slow loading and so Mac-looking
|> I was shocked!  Even a SPARC 2 can't help much and we are talking about
|> serious MIPS available already!
|>
|> A plain X + twm is fine enough to me.  Lean and mean <- key!

Well, I tend to favor OpenLook rather than plain X on my Sparcstation 2. Sure it
takes 32MB of main memory to run without too much paging, but it's actually
faster than plain X on many operations, because it supports the GX on my
workstation which X ignores (are there GX patches?).
I switched from tvtwm to olwm Sure it's a matter of taste and personal preference,
but I found it far more intuitive to use than [tv]twm. Sure it lacks programma-
bility but if I were ever to miss that, I'd probably start using gwm. So far I
earn my money writing programs not by writing window manager scripts. Being able
to run Framemaker(Suntools), to edit via Epoch(X), and to read News via xrn(X) all
at the same time isn't bad, either.

|> Chin Fang
|> Mechanical Engineering Department
|> Stanford University
|> fangchin at leland.stanford.edu

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET