/etc/init -> /bin/init

Fuat C. Baran fuat at cunixc.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:53:40 AEST 1988

In article <29929 at felix.UUCP> avolio at decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Check out the release notes page 1-2 under the heading "FIle
>System Reorganization."  While I'll admit it doesn't go into as much
>detail as one would like, it does warn about the file system reorg and
>give some reasons for it.
>
>There are other notes in the release notes which should have given you
>ample warning as to why a 2.2 kernel cannot exist with many 2.0 system
>programs.

The release notes are definitely insufficient.  The section you
mention mainly discusses reorganization due to diskless workstations,
especially the distinction between /usr/bin and /bin, /usr/lib and
/lib, etc.  It did not warn me that init was moved so trying to boot
with a 2.2 kernel on a 2.0 filesystem, would not work at all.
Checking for init wasn't the first thing we thought to look for when
the the machine hung right after all the autosizer output.  (We tried
to bring 2.2 up on a microvax first before annoying all the users on
the 8700.)

In general, I do not find the release notes very helpful at all.  If
you want a laugh, try reading section 2.5.17 on page 2-22...  Not
exactly the most useful paragraph I've seen.

Wasn't 2.2 supposed to be a "maintenance" release to mostly fix bugs?
There should be a way to upgrade from one minor versions to another
without a complete installation.

					--Fuat

P.S.  Do you by any chance know where in the release notes they
mention that getmnt(2) was incompatibly modified so that things like
the old mount/umount/df and any user program using getmnt(2) would no
longer work?  I didn't notice it when I read through the notes.

--
ARPANET: fuat at columbia.edu           U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
BITNET:  fuat at cunixc.columbia.edu               Center for Computing Activities