rdump - lost connection

Gerhard Fleischanderl gfl at tuhold.UUCP
Fri Dec 23 03:53:54 AEST 1988

I have serious problems with rdump(8):

We are running a VAX-11/750 under Ultrix 1.0 and a MicroVAX-II
under Ultrix 2.0, both connected via Ethernet.
(Nice mixture of releases, isn't it?)

Trying an rdump from the MicroVax to the tape (rmt8) at
the VAX-11/750 results in the error message
	Lost connection to remote host.

It's interesting to see that the command rdump actually
does work from the VAX-11/750 to the MicroVAX"!!!

Trying an rrestore yields the same results.
The files /etc/rdump, /etc/rrestore, and /etc/rmt exist
on both machines.

Who can tell me what has gone wrong?
If it's just the different releases of Ultrix: We are
going to bring updates to both machines.

If anyone has the solution for my rdump-problem,
please let me know.
Thanks.

Gerhard Fleischanderl
Databases and Expert Systems Subdivision, Technical University Vienna
Paniglgasse 16,  A-1040 Vienna, Austria
e-mail (UUCP): ...!mcvax!tuvie!tuhold!gfl