ba23 chassis disk interface question

Terry McGonigal terry at geovision.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 01:44:47 AEST 1988

I've been this route as well, with a vs3200 and rd54's.

I tried plugging the second drive into the same places, with the
same results.  DEC suggested at the time that there was a power
supply limitation that prevented you from using the second drive slot
but this is not the case (The drive ran ok, the processor could 'see'
it but Ultrix could not find it).

The solution is to get an external drive.  DEC sells a stand alone
rd54 in a box that you can use to expand BA23 bound systems.  In addition
to this box you will need an adapter kit to let your controller talk to
the external drive.  This kit has a 1/4 height card and some cables.
Installing the thing can be a bit tricky (lots of cable and very little
space in out vs3200) but it's fairly straight forward.

Sorry, but I don't have the part numbers et al right here, but I do recall
that all the information (as well as the bits themselves) are available
in the DecDirect catalog.

Hope this helps...

Terry McGonigal
GeoVision Corp, Ottawa ON Can.