fort, vcc, and lk

mal at hjuxa.UUCP mal at hjuxa.UUCP
Sat Nov 5 01:31:19 AEST 1988

> 	integer a(500000)
> 	stop
> 	end
> when compiled with the Vax/11 fortran compiler produces an executable
> file of size 2038627.  (When compiled with f77 it produces an executable
> of size 24576.)

The linker treats that integer array as initialized data and allocates
memory for it.  ld treats it as dynamic memory and no space is allocated.
Rumor has it that the latest version of lk fixes this problem.
I believe the reasoning for this feature in lk was to sell mor disks :-)

> Similar problems arise when using vcc.

my guess is that the linker used by vcc, if it is not the same as lk,
is based on lk.