DECstation 3100

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Sun Apr 16 01:13:09 AEST 1989

This is as good a time as any to remind people of something important.

I personally don't care if you flame Digital or not or if you like or
hate Digital.  (Okay... that's a lie.  I *do* care a lot!)  But let
me suggest that while a news group is a very useful thing for sharing
problems, triumphs, questions, and answers, it does not replace or
preclude other avenues for problem resolution.

Bugs should *always* be submitted via SPRs.  Problems with the documentation
or requests for enhancements also.  In addition, Digital documentation
usually has mail-in cards in the back for comments on documentation and
manuals.  You have any idea how many the doc group usually gets?  Under 10
is probably close to the mark for each SW release.

In addition, if you deal directly with Digital, you should make your
sales rep. aware of any problems.  Yes, I have heard stories of unresponsive
sales reps, but as they *need* your business to stay in business and that
usually implies that they *want* you to be happy -- and obviously (isn't
it?) this goes for *any* one selling a product and counting on repeat
sales -- they are usually responsive and want to help.  Sales reps have
at their disposal -- often/usually/they'd better -- software support.
That is, for example, one of my jobs.  Supporting the people who support
sales.  If I am hearing about a problem that a *local* customer is having
-- UMBC, for example -- *first* via the USENET, then there is a communication
problem.

Finally, some of you pay big bucks for Software Support from Digital -- or
whatever company for that matter.  You're throwing money away if you don't
use what you are paying for.  And if you don't think you are getting your
money's worth you should complain loud, long, and clear.

All I'm saying is, use all avenues available to you.  I bet we can solve or
resolve a problem.  I'd love to try.

Fred