SLIP over a DECserver and LAT from ULTRIX

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 12:22:37 AEST 1989

In article <122 at crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com.UUCP (Win Treese) writes:
> In article <6467 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >In article <1400 at blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu (Montana State) writes:
> >> Are the IOCTL()'s...
> >NO!  This is the big gripe...
>
> Actually, 3.0 contains the information.  I don't think there's much in
> the documentation, but there is code in /usr/examples/lat that show you
> how to do it.

Beg to differ, but:

The programs in /usr/exampes/lat don't use or document the core ioctl's
used for lat operation.  One of the programs does show a single new
"readonly" ioctl that returns the servicename, server and port of an
incoming lat call.

> /usr/examples also contains other code that might be of interest to
> you systems hackers out there...

Does your /usr/examples contains something mine doesn't?  I sucked in
the entire supported and unsupported tapes, and found nothing other
than the 3 programs in /usr/expamples/lat...

Anyway, here are the ioctl's and data structures that need to be fully
documneted and have their data structures appear in the distributed .h
files.  LIOCTTYI is addmittedly halfway there, but doen't appear in any
manual page...

ioctl		structure	function
=========	=========	========
LIOCSOL		solicit_1	send solicit msg
LIOCRES		response_1	get response msg
LIOCCMD		lat_ucom	send command msg
LIOCINI		lat_ini		lat tty init
LIOCTTYI	ltattyi		lat tty info

The following .h files were also present in the Ultrix 1.2 release,
but they seem to have dissapeared...

csh> ls -l sys/lat
total 15
-r--r--r--  1 root         2816 Feb 19  1986 lat.h
-r--r--r--  1 root         5343 Feb 19  1986 lat_protocol.h
-r--r--r--  1 root         6031 Feb 19  1986 lat_var.h

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start invoking the ioctl's with
random arguments and then try to get help from DEC if something just
happens to go wrong....   8-)
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net