SLIP over a DECserver and LAT from ULTRIX

Win Treese treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Sat Apr 1 17:57:32 AEST 1989

In article <6467 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1400 at blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu (Montana State) writes:
>>
>> Are the IOCTL()'s that allow you to make a connection to a remote LAT port
>> documented anywhere??  Obviously lpd uses them, but I don't see any
>> how-to's anywhere.
>
>NO!  This is the big gripe, that DEC has chosen not to document or provide
>access to the same facilities that sytem programs like lcp and lpd use,
>limiting your ability to upgrade/replace these programs with ones that
>you feel to be better in some way.

Actually, 3.0 contains the information.  I don't think there's much in
the documentation, but there is code in /usr/examples/lat that show you
how to do it.

As George Robbins noted later in his message, 3.0 also provides the facility
for lcp to associate a tty with a LAT line automatically, without an
application having to worry about LAT at all.  This works fine for printers,
at least -- I haven't tried it for SLIP yet.

/usr/examples also contains other code that might be of interest to
you systems hackers out there...

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.