nfs daemon blocks system.

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Mon Apr 24 12:00:32 AEST 1989

In article <1659 at eric.mpr.ca> parker at waters.UUCP (Ross Parker) writes:
>In article <278 at kubix.UUCP> mvw at kubix.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:
>Yes! We've been having a problem with NFS that appears to be caused by
>PCs on our network (using Sun's PC-NFS). Every once in a while the
>nfs daemons on one of our microvaxes (Ultrix 2.2 or 2.3) will just go
>bananas and eat up most of the CPU. We run 8 nfs daemons, and for the
>space of about 5 minutes (sometimes less), each will chew up about
>10 percent of the CPU. This drives the load up to a level where everyone
>has to sit and wait for this to die down before they can work again.
>If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly like to hear them!! DEC support
>is clueless so far.

We have the same sort of problem .. about 5 or 6 times a week one
of our uVaxIIen will lock up as you describe.  We do not run PC-NFS
but we do have some Sun's (v4 of SunOS) and a Sequent (v3.?? of Dynix)
and all these guys share NFS back and forth.  We are at v3 of Ultrix.

DEC support is also clueless.

Something which just occurred to me ... I believe that most of our
uVaxIIen have DEQNA's rather than DELQA's in 'em.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET