nfs daemon blocks system.

Ross Parker parker at waters.mpr.ca
Thu Apr 20 09:41:33 AEST 1989

In article <278 at kubix.UUCP> mvw at kubix.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:

>VAX 11/750 with DEUNA controller and Ultrix 3.0.
>
>When I NFS mount a disk of the VAX on a SUN 3/50 and start some compilations
>on that disk, after some time the VAX hangs. The system is completely
>dead and no messages appear on the console.
>After forcing a crashdump and looking at the core I get the impression
>one of the nfs daemons has taken over the CPU. The output from ps -axk
>of the dump looks like this:

>In a normal state the nfs daemons consume about the same cpu time.
>
>Has anybody experienced something like this or can give a solution
>to the problem.

Yes! We've been having a problem with NFS that appears to be caused by
PCs on our network (using Sun's PC-NFS). Every once in a while the
nfs daemons on one of our microvaxes (Ultrix 2.2 or 2.3) will just go
bananas and eat up most of the CPU. We run 8 nfs daemons, and for the
space of about 5 minutes (sometimes less), each will chew up about
10 percent of the CPU. This drives the load up to a level where everyone
has to sit and wait for this to die down before they can work again.

We think that this is happening when someone prints a file from a PC
(but certainly not every time someone prints a file). It happens to all
four microvaxes that we have PCs connected to.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly like to hear them!! DEC support
is clueless so far.

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|