DEC windows/X windows compatibility

Jim Fulton jim at expo.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Apr 12 23:36:16 AEST 1989

>                                   And my guess was that with DECwindows
> available, the MIT people would no longer feel the need to improve on their
> original sample server.  Anyone know if this would be a correct assumption?

Yes I know, and no it would not be.  However, we probably attach a slightly
different meaning to "improve"....

We continue to work on making the generic framebuffer code (mi, mfb, cfb) as
portable and as correct (i.e. conforming to the X Protocol) as possible.  While
we don't try to speed up individual platforms, we do try to incorporate
optimizations done by others whenever we can verify that they will work across
a wide range of platforms.

						Jim Fulton
						MIT X Consortium

p.s.  You can speed up the MIT server by using the GNU C compiler and the
Purdue speedups done by Gene Spafford at Purdue and Martin Friedmann at
CITI/UofMich.