DEC windows/X windows compatibility

Charley Kline kline at tuna.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:03:54 AEST 1989

>> MIT 11.3 runs just fine on this machine, but DECwindows is a **PIG**.
>
> Hmm...  I guess the vs2000 is a substantially better machine than the old
> uvaxII/GPX, cause you seem to be having more luck with the MIT release than I.
> Actually everything but large bitmap-type programs (xsetroot, xphoon, bitmap
> etc.) work all right, but I was hoping, given what the consortium people had
> been saying about it, that the DECwindows server would work substantially
> better in those areas.  Oh well.  And my guess was that with DECwindows
> available, the MIT people would no longer feel the need to improve on their
> original sample server.  Anyone know if this would be a correct assumption?

I run the DECwindows server and window manager (dxwm), but I bagged the
seesion manager and dxterm. I run the MIT clients. On this 6Mb VS2000,
things are a bit slow but not so bad that it's unusable or even annoying.

Hey, speaking of window managers, has anyone gotten awm from the X11R3 tape
to run under DECwindows? I know it works because a colleague got it to work
on a Sun-3 running "real" MIT X, but it does strange things (like cause
xterm to dump core) on my 2000. Is there some subtle incompatibility here?

-----
Charley Kline, University of Illinois Computing Services.  (217) 333-3339
kline at tuna.cso.uiuc.edu
{uunet,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!kline

"Just another useless dead thing, I've been killed by love."