DEC windows/X windows compatibility

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Mon Apr 3 07:15:40 AEST 1989

In article <10871 at paris.ics.uci.edu> B. Ferguson <bferguso at ics.uci.edu> writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with DEC windows, specifically how
>compatible with X11r3 is it.

Here's mine.  I've got it running on a mono vs2000 with "only" 6 meg.  MIT 11.3
runs just fine on this machine, but DECwindows is a **PIG**.  A terminal
window seems to take up something like >>>>900k<<<<<.  The machine pages like
crazy, and performance is *severely* bad.

As far as compatibility, I tried to run some of the core MIT 11.3 programs
from remote machines on it.  Some of them wouldn't run at all, others ran
strangely.  xeyes, for example, ran, but with the upper right quarter of
everything (the pupil, the circle, etc...) missing!

I'm underwhelmed.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)