DEC windows/X windows compatibility

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Tue Apr 4 09:23:02 AEST 1989

In article <3104 at stpstn.UUCP>, aad at stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> In article <10871 at paris.ics.uci.edu> B. Ferguson <bferguso at ics.uci.edu> writes:
> >Has anyone had any experience with DEC windows, specifically how
> >compatible with X11r3 is it.
>
> Here's mine.  I've got it running on a mono vs2000 with "only" 6 meg.  MIT 11.3
> runs just fine on this machine, but DECwindows is a **PIG**.  A terminal
> window seems to take up something like >>>>900k<<<<<.  The machine pages like
> crazy, and performance is *severely* bad.
>
> As far as compatibility, I tried to run some of the core MIT 11.3 programs
> from remote machines on it.  Some of them wouldn't run at all, others ran
> strangely.  xeyes, for example, ran, but with the upper right quarter of
> everything (the pupil, the circle, etc...) missing!
>
> I'm underwhelmed.

I had the same experience.  We have two color vs2000's with "only" 6 meg
and performance was abysmal!  Also, some bitmaps, e.g. twm's resize and
keyboard bitmaps in the title bars were bit-shifted or byte-swapped when
we ran twm under DEC's server.  We finally gave up on all the DEC stuff
and stuck to MIT's release.

DEC has finally found a way to force people to buy more memory than
they should need!