DEC windows/X windows compatibility

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Wed Apr 12 06:52:24 AEST 1989

I call 'em DICwindows ...

Not only is it slow but you can't easily do things like having an
xterm running on a remote machine pointing directly to your display.

By digging through the manuals I finally found that you could use
uwm instead and use X as God (or MIT anyway) intended ;-).  I do
end up with a Status Manager running as an icon up in the corner
of the screen.

Or .. if you look in /etc/ttys you'll find a commented out line
which'll run uwm directly without all that DICwindows gunk ...

BTW ... the slowness isn't because of a bad driver or anything
like that.  It's because of *huge* programs that're swapping
over the ether.  Our vs2000's are a bit weak in the memory department
and apparently, from the service calls we've put in, the development
people all use machines with lots of memory.  i.e. no (little) swapping
So they don't see these problems ...

--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET