Request for help: electronic submission of SPRs

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Sat Apr 22 13:30:15 AEST 1989

Well, let me just say that some of us inside of Digital are looking
into this and want to propose it.  Someone I deal with in the far north
snow country where the polar bears and ULTRIX Engineers live, named
Bonnie has asked about such matters so let me pass on the questions as
I remember them...

Basically, what would be very useful is if you -- if you're interested
in changing some of this -- would send me your ideas and thoughts on
what sorts of things need to be in place.  What do other vendors do
that Digital should (remember we are talking about things like bug
fixes, SPR submissions, etc. Field test administration and distribution
could also fall under this discussion.

Assume that Digital knows that 1) some customers couldn't use it
because of lack of security (meaning the fact that over UUCP your mail
sits on lots of other machines on its way) and would not use it or
would need a direct UUCP link, 2) UUCP use for business is certainly
sanctioned by the UUCP community, and 3) the same goes for the
Internet.

Rather than fill up the news group, if you want to send your ideas
directly to me I will put them all together, pass them on, summarize
them back out if you want, and at least try to help implement some of
the ideas.  (well, some of the good ones anyway :-).)

I'm sure you realize, but I'm going to tell you anyway, I am near the
bottom of the pecking order as shakers, movers, and decision-makers go
in Digital (a bottom-feeder as a good friend points out) but I'm
willing to facilitate.  (Yeah, that's the word...)

Fred