How do I get slip code and interface compiled into kernel?

Andrew Poling ecf_hap at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Tue Apr 11 14:52:44 AEST 1989

Help!

I'm new to kernel building, having learned UNIX on SysV machines.  I have
what MUST be a simple question:

I've got Ultrix 3.0 on a VS2000.  I'd like to try the slip code, but I can't
seem to get it compiled in.  I've added "option NSL" and "pseudo-device sl"
to my config file.  I've even added NSL to the options in the kernel
makefile.  I just can't get any of the related executables to do anything.
Ifconfig claims there's no interface "sl0", slattach doesn't complain - but
it doesn't do anything either.

Can somebody give me a clue?  DEC doesn't say boo in the documentation about
slip, but the stuff's there - and I've seen people write about it here.

Help!
Andy

Andy Poling						andy at gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group					ecf_hap at jhunix.UUCP
Homewood Academic Computing				ECF_HAP at JHUVMS.BITNET
Johns Hopkins University