Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Tony Burzio burzio at mmlai.UUCP
Wed Apr 5 10:34:50 AEST 1989

In article <38133 at bbn.COM>, fkittred at bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) writes:
> >The CMU package does not work well to my Hewlett Packard.  For some reason it
> >hangs up remote logins if they become inactive for a time.  The Wolongong
> >
> Hum, could it be that you don't have the C shell enviromental variable
> "autologout" set to zero?  We had a similar problem here with Ultrix
> to HP systems until we found this feature.

We run the korn shell, and I have left the terminal logged in all day
without being logged out.  A long time ago a message was posted that
the HP does not respond to the CMU "are you still alive" query, making
it log out.  There was a patch to disable this query, but it didn't work.

> >By the by, it's X Windows, not DECwindows...
>
> There is no such thing as "X Windows", there is X, X11, the "X Window System",
> but no "X Windows".  The one thing that the X Consortium asks is
> that you do not call their contribution "X Windows"...

Ahhh...  We shall split hairs, but there is a wider gulf to DECwindows...