Ultrix resolver

Win Treese treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Tue Apr 4 18:17:43 AEST 1989

In article <774 at fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> waters at ncifcrf.gov (Jack Waters) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this group so please be gentle. Recently, we got
>a DEC Station 3100 running Ultrix as a demo. I want to use
>the resolver but I must be doing something wrong. I have a
>valid resolv.conf file pointing to both my primary and secondary
>nameservers. When I run nslookup it resolves any address
>that I want whether in my domain or out in the world. My
>problem is that when I try to use telnet or rlogin the only
>name resolution I get is from /etc/hosts. Any comments
>will be appreciated.

There should be a file /etc/svcorder with the following lines:

bind
local

(assuming that you don't use Yellow Pages).  This instructs the
resolver code to use the name server, then the local host tables.
nslookup does not check this file.

Happy hacking....

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.