Dec Windows

Ravindran Ramachandran rr at csuna.cs.uh.edu
Fri Aug 11 04:17:34 AEST 1989

In article <JV.89Aug10154556 at mhres.mh.nl> jv at mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>In article <2703 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>
>| You can set a font set size by putting this in either
>| /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/DXterm (for system-wide default) or in your
>| own .Xdefaults.
>|
>| DXterm*main.terminal.fontSetSeletion:	0
>|
>| which will give you the larger fonts.
>
>From my 'dxterm(1X)' documentation:
>
>| fontSetSelection: Specifies which font is set to use. Specify zero for
>|                   little and 1 for big. The default is 1.
>
>Which is right?
>
>	Johan

	I don't know why the manuals are different, but having the value as
    suggested by Fredrick seems to work. As the poster of the original request
    for having a larger font on the system, let my re-clarify my question. I
    had found out how to get the terminal window to have a larger font, by
    using the customize window utilities. However, the problem was when I
    started up other windows, like emacs, the postscript previewer, and the
    session manager, the fonts seemed to be too small for anything but a
    microscope. Having used a SUN before, with its defaults editor (wherein
    you can specify what fonts, etc.), the method by which you have to specify
    things for the DECwindows characteristics seemed a major pain in the ...
    head. I guess those are the drawbacks of using a new and better protocol?

	Anyway, I had got a response from Mr. Ted (Mellon?) on how to get to
   customize the other fonts. No system-wide default, but a .Xdefaults entry.
   The only problem with this was when trying to customize using the session
   manager's options. With a normal font, the popup menu for changing the
   color (say, background) would fit within the display. However, with other
   fonts that window slided out of reach of the mouse, and could not be moved
   either. As the 'save', 'dismiss' buttons were now out of reach, the session
   manager basically went on hold. Solution: Kill the dxsession on node :0.
   Basically, commit hara-kiri. If you still want the stuff I'll tell you how
   to change the font. But please input a standard disclaimer for myself and
   for the person who told me how to do this.

     -- Ravi.

 Internet : rr at cs.uh.edu                  |          System Administrator
          : ramachandran at uh.edu           |          TCSUH, 617 SR1
 CSNET    : rr at houston.edu                |          University of Houston