Dec Windows

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 8 15:54:47 AEST 1989

In article <10069 at uhnix1.uh.edu> rr at cs.uh.edu wrote:

>   I was wondering if there are many people running DECwindows? Basically,
>I am going blind by staring at a 14'' terminal with the default fonts. I
>spent a lot of time reading the manuals, but they all seem to be written
>for the user. But folks like us are not too concerned about the user; we
>want to be able to set things as the *default* (ah, the pleasures of such
>puny power).
>
>   Anyway, I would like to set up the default font to be other than what
>is given by DECwindows. Is there any system default file? (system.Xdefaults?)

The defaults used for the login screen come from /.Xdefaults.

The defaults used for the user's dxwm session come from /usr/skel/.Xdefaults.

Default settings for the DECWindows themselves come from ~/default.DECTERM
(!).  Luckily, dxterm takes an argument that makes it read from a
different file, which can start with a `.'.

This all works somewhat better on UWS 2.1 than on 2.0. Choosing the
`save' option after customizing the manager or the window edits the
appropriate file.  The options to set the foreground and background
colors for the cursos are buggy (on a DS3100, anyway).

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu