Swapping and Ultrix 3.0

Leeland Heins heins at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Fri Aug 18 05:33:01 AEST 1989

In article <1792 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> gary at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>This is not documented anywhere, but I wonder if it is possible anyway.
>
>I have a VaxStation II with an RD54.  I currently swap to the "b" partition
>on this drive (16 meg).  I would like (need) more swap space without buying
>an additional disk drive.  My root and usr partitions are also on this drive,
>and basically full.  Is there ANY way I can swap to the "b" partition and also
>to a swap file on a remote machine? (in other words, is there any way to
>configure it that it thinks it is a diskless system, while still swapping
>locally?

   Bleagh.  You don't want to swap over a net.  It will seriously hose
performance both of your local machine and the network throughput.
   I'd say you'd be better off blowing away some of the stuff you don't
use often on the / or /usr partitions and accessing them across the net in
the rare instances you need them.  You could then shrink the /usr partition
and enlarge the swap space.
   We generally blow away as much stuff as we can on systems with small
drives and use compress on as much stuff as possible that we do keep.  Compress
can buy you quite a lot of space sometimes.
   Really you'd be better off just biting the bullet and getting another
drive or replacing the RD54 with a larger drive...  Painful to the pocketbook
but worth it in the long run.

>Gary Faulkner
>National Center for Supercomputing Applications
>University of Illinois
>
>Internet: garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
>
>Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

  //|||\\   "Attack of the killer 	Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
 //-O-O-\\   mutant techno-hippies	Iowa State U. Extension
 ||  v  ||   from Hell"			heins at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
 || === ||				...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins
 || --- ||
/// `|' \\\				Disclaimer: I speak for myself only.