Getting more Inodes (Ultrix 3.0, Vax)

Karl Nyberg karl at grebyn.com
Wed Aug 2 14:51:27 AEST 1989

I need more inodes for my news spool partition.  According to my manual page
for newfs (8) on paper, you use the:

	-i number of bytes per inode
		This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.
		The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes of
		data space.  If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number
		should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number
		should be given.

Well, increasing the number does indeed decrease the number of inodes.
However, decreasing the number, all the way down to 2, has absolutely no
effect whatsoever.  The system continues to make one inode per each 2048
bytes.  Am I missing something here?  Should I really be using mkfs (which
is getting passed the correct parameters, using the -v flag to newfs)?

-- Karl --