Getting more Inodes (Ultrix 3.0, Vax)

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Aug 3 04:22:50 AEST 1989

In article <12244 at grebyn.com> karl at grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg) writes:

> I need more inodes for my news spool partition.  According to my manual page
> for newfs (8) on paper, you use the:
>
> 	-i number of bytes per inode
>
> Well, increasing the number does indeed decrease the number of inodes.
> However, decreasing the number, all the way down to 2, has absolutely no
> effect whatsoever.  The system continues to make one inode per each 2048
> bytes.  Am I missing something here?  Should I really be using mkfs (which
> is getting passed the correct parameters, using the -v flag to newfs)?

There are interdependencies between various of the mkfs parameters such
that mkfs silently changes the supplied parameters when a limit is execeeded.

In particular, there is a limit on the maximum number of inodes per
cylinder group.  Overriding the size of the cylinder groups to make them
smaller will allow you to get more inodes.  I seem to recall that changing
block/frag size parameter will also do this, though perhaps indirectly by
affecting the cylinder group size.

You can verify what you are actually getting by using the dumpfs(8) utility.

See /usr/include/ufs/fs.h for some factoids and the section on the Berkeley
Fast File System in the Supplementary Documentation for added confusion.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net